The dense tropical wilds of Cairns and beyond are most thoroughly and most organically discovered in a 4WD rental. There are plenty of 4WDs to choose from including mid sized and large 4WDs, and once you have picked your own you can go as fast or as slow as want up and down the coast, in and out of some of the most spectacular natural sites in Australia.
Compare Cairns car rental prices and pickup special offers and discounts using this form:
If you are in and around Brisbane Airport with a bit of time on your hands it may be worthwhile looking into one-way rentals, as the one-way journey to Cairns may cost you less than you think (many companies don't charge extra fees on these rentals). Once you arrive, you can switch to a 4WD and let the real journey begin, or alternatively you can simple pick up from Cairns or Cairns Airport.
The further you go from the centre of Cairns, the more rugged, untouched and memorable the terrain gets - and most of the time a 4WD is the only way to see the best bits. There are numerous 4WD tracks that you can follow through the world heritage-listed rainforest and dusty outback plains, but if you are not with a tour make sure you go about getting the correct permits so you can access these hidden locations with the law on your side!
The Daintree, Cape Tribulation, Cape York and Cooktown are among the most popular 4WD sights in and around the Cairns area, and many of the tours and private charters can be set up so that they combine hiking, swimming, fishing and camping all in one.
1. Head south-west on Spence St towards Sheridan St 7 m
2. Take the 1st right on to Sheridan St 700 m
3. Continue onto Captain Cook Hwy
Go through 3 roundabouts 12.0 km
4. At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit and stay on Captain Cook Hwy 1.0 km
5. At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit and stay on Captain Cook Hwy
Go through 4 roundabouts 11.6 km
6. Continue onto Dcaptain Cook Hwy 290 m
7. Continue onto Captain Cook Hwy 52.2 km
8. Slight right at Mossman Daintree Rd 23.5 km
9. Turn right at Bailey Creek Rd 550 m
10. Take the 1st right to stay on Bailey Creek Rd 3.2 km
11. Take the Car Fy ferry 290 m
12. Continue straight onto Bailey Creek Rd 3.1 km
13. Turn left to stay on Bailey Creek Rd 7.1 km
14. Turn right to stay on Bailey Creek Rd 1.9 km
15. Continue onto Cape Tribulation Rd 6.4 km
16.Turn right to stay on Cape Tribulation Rd 14.6 km